Which job causes the most injuries
These are the most dangerous jobs in the world
Bomb defuser, demolition master or tiger tamer? According to statistics, the most dangerous jobs in the world are completely different. However, these have different approaches. How high is the meaningfulness of the most popular evaluations?
There are certain risks in every job - although some jobs are more dangerous than others. We looked at two statistics and spoke to an expert about their informative value.
The most dangerous jobs in the world
In 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor Statistics (BLS), Center for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) pooled their own data as well as that of various trade organizations to identify the world's most dangerous jobs. It turned out that many industries can be dangerous: Both the health sector, as well as transport, agriculture, the public service and, above all, the construction industry.
Overall, the evaluation resulted in the following ranking:
Deaths: 135.9 *
Injuries: 2,449 *
- Deep sea fishermen
Deaths: 86 *
Injuries: Not published
- Pilot / aircraft engineer / aircraft mechanic
Deaths: 55.5 *
Injuries: 466 *
Deaths: 48.6 *
- Garbage man
Deaths: 34.1 *
Injuries: 2,702 *
Deaths: 25.1 *
Injuries: 2,158 *
Deaths: 24.7 *
Injuries: 2,828 *
Deaths: 23.1 *
Injuries: 28 *
- construction worker
Deaths: 18 *
Injuries: 1,060 *
- Harvest workers
Deaths: 17.4 *
Injuries: 1,316 *
* Figures per 100,000 workers
The statistics show how many workers worldwide died while doing their job.
The most dangerous professions due to long-term effects
In this list, however, the long-term health effects that can occur due to the occupational activity were not included. Because a lot of work causes a lot of physical wear and tear, explains Jörg Feldmann, press spokesman for the Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, t-online.de. For example, tilers in old age often experience severe pain and restricted mobility of the spine and knees.
The long-term effects usually only show after several years or at an advanced age. In part, the high health risk can be represented here by the number of workers who receive a disability pension. If the long-term health consequences are included, the following ranking results:
- Miner (occupations in mining in general)
- Meat and sausage manufacturers
- Screed layer
- Plasterer, plasterer
- Demolition master / person authorized to demolish
- Construction workers
- Stevedores (dock workers who help with loading and unloading)
In these trades, accidents at work and occupational diseases can occur, which make it no longer possible to carry out a professional activity and possibly also lead to premature death.
In addition to the long-term health effects, another factor also plays a role in the problem of such an evaluation: the number of workers who carry out this activity. The magazine "Compensation and Working Conditions", which had already tried in 1997 to make a statement about the deadliest professions in the world, named the job description of the elephant trainer to illustrate the problem:
- There is only a small number of workers known as elephant trainers in the world. If a trainer is killed while working with an elephant, this greatly increases the number of deaths within the professional group. In the evaluation of the deadliest occupations, however, this activity is not listed due to the small number. If, on the other hand, there are no deaths, the number drops to 0, which would make the elephant trainer profession one of the safest jobs.
- The job title elephant trainer is very variable. It can be carried out by animal keepers on the one hand, but also by artists and performers on the other. Again, these occupational classifications include other workers who do not deal with elephants.
In addition to the long-term effects, one should also pay attention to the proportionality of the statistics. What is certain is that with certain precautionary measures you can prevent certain occupational diseases and reduce the health risks in your job.
- Miss the days in front of the computer
- What is the Liberal Party of Australia
- Are rubies and sapphires the same?
- How are Kabbalah bracelets made
- Why should I avoid short shorts?
- How do you say resist in Tagalog
- Can Congress be beaten?
- Why is guest blogging important in search engine optimization?
- What are atheist views on Hinduism
- How does it work in Finland for Indians
- Why don't knots go away
- What gives value and meaning to life
- What is a geykume
- How do they make dried ramen curly?
- Is Parma ham healthy or unhealthy
- What does an INTJ
- Why wasn't Trump charged
- Is Lyft a good investment for 2020
- How do I stay young
- What are some hidden advantages of minimalism
- What is a sex club
- What is wrong but sounds right 1
- There are jewelry for men
- How was 2004
- What are some mind-blowing luxury items
- What are common sexual fantasies of women
- Have Afghans been Iranians before?
- What is netpreneurship
- Which is better pulao or biryani
- Men really think women are gullible
- What is the best budget workstation laptop
- The government trusts the people
- How long does a bus take in the UK
- How do you wear women's jeans